Sunday, February 17, 2008

Didn't quite gallop to gunning

I had a crack at the Gunning Gallop yesterday, a 400km Audax event run locally. Just Richard and me turned up and I'm sorry to say that I bailed with leg cramps 140km into the ride.

Plenty of excuses to justify pulling out, lousy preparation for starters but I am very disappointed now and wish I could have continued. I've never really had cramps before and even now my thighs are tight and uncomfortable. I probably need to get back into yoga or look at some sodium replacement strategies. Its all part of the process. I also got very cold riding on the Hume Hwy passed Mittagong which I think contributed to the cramping. Just couldn't get warm. By the time I got home I felt exhausted so wonder if I would have got all that much further if I had pressed on. I will never know. I do know I will have to do a lot more riding before doing anything much over 200km, partly to give me the confidence that I can make the distance, but also to get the body working better.

I did get to give the new lights a workout and found them to be very satisfactory. The Apollogy did great, everything worked (except me). ONe interesting point for fans of civil engineer - they number drains! Can't think why.


No comments: